January 31, 2006

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell


So, I finally finished it. It took me practically the entire month of January--a little longer than I would have liked, but things don't always work out the way I want them to.

Without giving anything important away, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is about two dueling English magicians at the beginning of the 19th century. Mr. Norrell is the foremost magical in England--he assists the government with their ongoing war against Napoleon Bonaparte, and helps to prevent various natural disasters around the island. As a result, he becomes on of the most desired men about town. About half way through the book Jonathan Strange makes his appearance. He is a naturally gifted magician who comes under the tutelage of Mr. Norrell. Eventually the two quarrel and part ways--taking very divergent paths in their pursuit of furthering English magic.

The general consensus about this book is that it's a little too wordy--too much superfluous description. I thought when I began reading, what literature lover ever criticizes Dickens for being too wordy? OK, well maybe a lot of people do, but I generally find that a certain amount of wordiness adds to the charm of a novel. Detailed description helps invoke time and place. Perhaps this in only true for books that are written contemporary to the time in which they take place. One could have a brief ( ;) ) but interesting discussion about that. Anyway, it's my feeling that anyone picking up this book could skip the entire first section, entitled "Mr. Norrell." Mr. Norrell's rise to fame as a magician is pretty boring, and rather unnecessary to the rest of the story. I think any important information could be easily inferred from conversations and narrative printed later in the book.

As an English major, I find it difficult to read a novel simply for enjoyment. For me everything I read should have some sort of lesson to be learned. I'm not sure that Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell does much by way of teaching anything about life--but let me dig a little. Perhaps one could glean from it to not interfere with forces and powers that are out of one's control and understanding. But then again, aren't we supposed to try to gain understanding about things that we don't understand? What is the aim of education if not to break away from the teacher and try to expand upon the accepted knowledge? Would any learning be valuable if it did not lead to further thought and work? Strange ultimately rejects Norrell's teachings about magic. He believes that his teacher's views are too narrow. He wants to explore things that Norrell shuns. In the course of the book, we find that Norrell possessed wisdom from disastrous experience that he was too proud to admit to his pupil. Perhaps this is a story about the dangers of being too proud. Norrell could have prevented all of the tragic events in the book had he not been beguiled by those who would stroke his ego and make him think that he could do no wrong. Of course, then there wouldn't have been a story. But this is the problem of most novels and stories. We have the benefit of being detached from the events enough to analyze them and realize that they are totally preventable if any one of a string of bad decisions had not been made.

So, would I recommend this book? If the person I was suggesting to was a fan of fantasy or was curious to read the book that has been called "Harry Potter for adults" then yes. Definitely. Otherwise, this is not a book for most.

Up next: The World Below by Sue Miller
And for those who are interested my page count for the year is 1741. Don't worry--I'm going strong until the end of June, but then I'm going to be spending my time figuring out how to take care of two children and still remain sane.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Wow, that was quite an undertaking. It seems to me that your literary interests have really changed lately or perhaps are resurfacing. I don't think I could pick a book for you at this point (except that you would still embrace any good fiction right?). Anyway, I loved The World Below and hope you'll enjoy it. (Your page count is most impressive!)

8:49 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

My tastes haven't changed to the exclusion of any type of literature that I enjoyed before, but I am trying to include other books that I might not have read before. It's been a pretty rewarding experience. I've read and enjoyed biographies and histories, which I never would have read before last year. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell was kind of a big deal in the book world when it came out, so I thought I'd give it a try. So to calm your fears (in case you have my name at this year's Christmas book eschange) I will read any good literature--as long as it's not by Sue Monk Kidd. Really, her book The Mermaid Chair caused this change. As you know, I hated that book with more passion than I've ever hated anything!

9:01 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

I almost bought Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell for the Christmas book exchange last year, but I couldn't quite bring myself to because of the comparison to Dickens and I think (gasp!) I may not like Dickens after all... sorry Amy. Interesting that you feel like you can't read just for enjoyment. I was an English major but I read mainly for enjoyment. I think we can't help learning something about ourselves or life in general while reading, even if we're not trying to. I always love your analysis, though!

10:58 AM  
Blogger collette said...

I find that I am more competitive than I ever thought. Your page count made me want to read more and faster. I am about 30 pages from finishing "All He Ever Wanted" but I am also reading two other books. Bring it on Amy! :)

9:07 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Collette--need we sight the "Case Against Competition" incident of 2003? We've established that you and Jana are very competitive, perhaps we should be checking with Jana, she may be stealthily reading Atlas Shrugged as we speak (plus she's a skimmer).

8:14 AM  
Blogger jenn said...

I want to swear right now, but what if my mother found this post! So, instead I'll say, Good Job Amy! Your page count is just fabulous! I am so happy for you. (Fake smile and massive grumbling under my breath.):)

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home