June 30, 2006

One Week Ago


The Short of It (if you don't have time for a short novel!)

Alexander Bryce Hanks
Born: June 23, 2006
Time: 5:40
At: Timpanogos Regional Medical Center, Orem, Utah
Vital Stats: 7 lbs 12 oz, 20 inches long

The Whole Story
In about half and hour it will be one week exactly since Alex was born. As I previously wrote I had been scheduled to go to the hospital to be induced on Wednesday morning but I was bumped due to an extremely high volume of people actually going into labor naturally. I was disappointed, to say the least, but releived when my doctor volunteered to induce me on Friday--his "day off," if such a thing actually exists for a doctor, exspecially an ObGyn. Friday morning, after a nearly sleepless night I got up and called the hospital at 4:30 AM. They told me that they were cleaning rooms and that they wouldn't be able to take me until 6:30, an hour after I was scheduled to arrive. In a minor state of panic I told the nurse that I would probably just head down to the hospital as soon as I was ready and wait for a room to become available. I wasn't about to let a room slip by while driving from Lehi, where I live, to Orem. She assured me that I wouldn't get bumped (really, how can one make such a promise?), but I insisted on coming in. I calmed down a bit after getting off the phone and decided to take a shower and blow dry my hair, put some makeup on and eat a good breakfast since it would be my last for at least several hours.

At 6:00 Jeremy and I arrived at the hospital. My room was ready and waiting, just as promised. Within half an hour I was in my bed hooked up to an IV drip and waiting for my Pitocin. At 8:00 they started my Pitocin drip and I began having contractions immediately. At around 10:00 they came in to measure if I'd made any progress. My cervix was still only dilated to 3cm. Now the waiting game began. At noon my contractions were sufficiently uncomfortable for me to ask for my epidural--gotta love those! Two more more hours passed with no further dilation, although Alex was in postition, and I was thinning out quite a bit. At about 2:30 the doctor came and broke my water. Soon I moved from 3cm to 5cm, but then the dilation slowed to a standstill. Around 4:45 my nurse came in to tell me that the contraction monitor was no longer picking up contractions, and since I couldn't feel anything, I couldn't tell her what was going on. They decided to insert an internal contraction moniter and an internal fetal monitor. This was difficult becasuse Alex was crammed against my cervix just waiting for his time. All of the sudden, his heart rate dropped from about 135 bpm to 40 bpm. Three nurses rushed into my room, immediately laid me down flat and gave me oxygen. They worked for an agonizing 15 minutes to stabilize him, during which time Jeremy and I both fought hard to keep ourselves under control. Finally they got his heart rate back up and decided to check if the stress had caused any change. I was at 10cm. In 15 minutes. They called the doctor, who showed up about 15 minutes later, and I began to push. After several pushes with no movement he pulled his handy little pair of forceps and yanked Alexander into the world.

This experience was so different from my first childbirth experience. Well, the labor and delivery part was pretty much the same. I reacted very slowly to Pitocin, and she also had a foreceps delivery. It's the after that was so different. After I delivered Kaitlin I was in agony. I started having violent contractions that they couldn't control. The doctor ordered an anti-nausea medication (for all of the obvious reasons) and I think it was Percocet to help with the pain. It knocked me out cold for the rest of the day. I missed everything. With Alexander, I felt great. I got to hold him as much as I wanted, I got to witness him peeing up the wall when they weighted him! It was almost like nothing had happened. Later on they moved me to my room and by the time I went to bed for the night I was able to get up and go to the bathroom nearly on my own. (The nurse had to be present for my first foray out of bed.) When I had Kaitlin I couldn't get out of bed on my own until the day I was discharged. Also I was in so much pain I had to have heavy painkillers. With Alexander I've never needed more than 800mg of ibuprofin.

I'd read all over the place that the recovery time gets shorter with each subsequent pregnancy after one's first. I wouldn't have believed it. On Sunday when we came home I had no problem sitting in a chair, walking around the house and even climbing up the stairs. It's been so easy this time. It's almost embarrassing to have meals brought in from my neighbors because I feel perfectly capable of cooking for my family and even going to the grocery store to replenish my seriously depleted pantry.

A little update on Alex: He's such a good baby! I know they all are at only a week old, but if I remember correctly he's much easier than Kaitlin was. Some of you know that I was struggling with the decision of whether or not to nurse him. I think this was the most traumatic part of having Kaitlin. I just could never get her to do it. Since I wasn't going through all of the physical travails I endured with Kaitlin, I decided to give it a go. We had success--another one of the major differences between Alex and his sister. He's also a great sleeper. Right now he had pretty long wakeful periods during the day, but he's perfectly content, and he sleeps for four hour stretches at night, so I haven't had any major fatique issues to deal with yet. All in all life is good, I've been enjoying my time with Alex so much more than I did with Kaitlin (sorry Kaitlin!), and none of my worst fears were realized. I couldn't ask for more.

PS I'm sure this post is full of typos! I only have a few precious minutes to myself and I have to feed the baby really soon. Sorry--no time to proofread!

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update! I have been checking like crazy just to see if you have had a moment. So very glad this time was better and that Alex is doing great. I also had a hard time with Mya and am worried about #2. He is so adorable! I am glad you are getting some decent sleep and hope that the weeks to come show the same results. How is Kaitlin doing with all the change?

6:56 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

I am glad you were able to have the time to sit down and write out your story. I know that you will look back and be so glad! Thanks for sharing it with all of us. Sounds like you are doing great and don't feel bad about the meals. You only get it once in a while--live it up and enjoy it while you can. I usually feel great the first two weeks then hit a brick wall. Its almost like a high or something. So even though you feel great--let people help you. (I like you always feel bad when I feel perfectly capable) He is a adorable little baby. Hope he stays sleeping that way for you! Congrats again!! How fun to have a brand new little one at home.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I'm so happy to finally be able to have some details and to hear how you're doing. It was scary to read about those rough moments during his delivery, but so great that all is well and that you're feeling so much better this time around. What a blessing.

That picture of him is darling. Newborns are such miracles. I still can't believe our bodies can make people.

I'm so happy for you guys and so relieved that you're feeling so good this time around. Hooray!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Thanks for the update! It sounds like you are doing great! Such a relief to be back on your feet so quickly. I hope the good sleep continues!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Bond Girl 007 said...

OHHHHHhh he looks so peaceful. Glad things turned out okay and that he is a good sleeper! I am also glad to hear that the nursing part wasn't hard. It is stressful when they don't cooperate (they don't know either) found that hard to believe that "they too" have to figure this out!....wow thanks for posting!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Weinraub Family said...

YEAH!! I was so happy to see your post. Like everyone else I was checking on a regular basis to see if you had posted.
WOW, scary moments during labor, but so glad it ended with a beautiful healthy baby!.
Hannah and Leah are such different babies...so I know what you mean about K and A. Glad to hear the breastfeeding is working out for you this time, and that you are getting sleep.
My love to the whole family

3:50 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I'm so glad you're feeling well. It sure is nice to have a "good" baby. My first was like that, and my second was a nightmare. Another story, another time.
Glad that you are both home safe and sound. Is Kaitlin loving having a baby around? I agree with Jenny, make sure you let people help even if you don't think you need it. You will soon enough.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing your experiences with his birth. I'm so exited for you and this little one and I'm glad that everything has worked out well for you.

5:49 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

I am SO glad you had a chance to type this up! I have been thinking about you EVERY day this week and between my family in town and not wanting to disturb resting people at your house, I just haven't called or come by. I'm glad you are all doing well! I can't wait to hold him- he is SO handsome! Congratulations!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

What an adorable newborn! I'm glad to hear that things are going well. I too could not believe that I could actually walk on my own after this second baby or actually nurse (we also had major nursing trauma b/c my first baby would not nurse). It is almsot shocking to have it go so well, but what a blessing. I can relate. HOORAY!

12:37 AM  
Blogger collette said...

Congratulations Amy!! I am sorry I have not contacted you before now but am excited to see you and Alex!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

I'm so glad that everything went well. The oxygen mask, though, must have given you quite a panic. It's scary everything that can go wrong in a delivery room.

And you're breast feeding. Yeah! I hope that it continues to go well for you. I'm sure that you have already mastered the reading/ feeding/pumping at the same time.

1:09 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

I'm so glad you typed up your birth story. I love to hear about all the details. There is nothing so dramatic, exciting, and emotional as the birth of a child! Every one of my deliveries has had a scare like that and it can really send you into a panic. So wonderful that all is well and that he is healthy and sleeping, too. What a bonus! I'm happy that this time around was easier for you and that you got to be more present. I'm laughing about him peeing up the wall. Boys have a special talent for that, don't they?
I'm so impressed at how well you're feeling -- grocery shopping? cooking? You're doing great. Your beautiful baby is finally here. Hooray!

9:18 AM  
Blogger amy gretchen said...

love birth stories. thanks for sharing. The photo is darling. He looks so adorable. I am glad you are doing better.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home