June 16, 2006

I'm a dork, but at least I'm having fun!

Lately I've been very taken with the idea of personalized stationery. It's a romantic notion, I know, probably linked to all of the Jane Austen I've been watching and reading. People used to leave a card, like a business card, at people's houses when they stopped by. It was a way to make sure their friends knew they'd been visited even if they never saw each other. It could also be linked to the desire I have to have a written correspondence with someone. Through reading histories and biographies I've come to realize that most of what we know about people is through their letters and diaries. Although I doubt anyone will be publishing a biography ofme in the future, I like the idea of leaving a record for someone else to find. In doing this, I think it would be cool and kind of luxurious to have cards and paper that are unique to me. I shopped the Internet and found that such luxuries don't come cheap. At Paper Source they will print a set of 50 A2 folded cards (the ones that are the size of 1/2 an 81/2 x 11 sheet of paper) with plain envelopes for only $435.00. No, that is not a typo--fifty cards for four hundred and thirty five dollars. That's $8.70 per card! I've been known to spend money on stupid things like that before, but not that much money. Really, who does that? I also realized it would take me forever to get through 50 cards and I know by about the 5th or 6th card I'd be sick of them anyway. So, I started to think about making my own stationery. I bought the envelope and envelope liner templates from Paper Source because they have the cutest envelopes. But after that I began the fat and lazy phase of my pregnancy, so the desire to go any further than buying something on the Internet fizzled.

Then I read the June issue of
Domino magazine. They spotlighted two stationery design companies. The first, Lovely Design, didn't offer personalized products. (I've linked them here because they have some really cool stuff to drool over!)
The second, Paper+Cup, had personalized stationery at much more reasonable pricing--only $2.60 per card. Beside the fact that if I spend that kind of money on anything it's going to be on my house, I still wanted to try my hand and making my own cards! So, inspired, I decided to sit down during Kaitlin's nap today and give designing stationery a try. It's been a really fun project to work on. I'm pretty happy with the results of my first tries. I made thank you notes for Alexander, and plain notes for Kaitlin and me. Coincidentally, this has worked well into my other recent obsession with learning how to do digital scrapbooking. It's helped me learn my way around Adobe Photoshop Elements a little more--I actually taught myself how to install and use brushes (not hard and way cool!), and practiced working with layers. Anyway, here are the results. The cards are simple, but that's the trend these days, right? They do make me wonder why I ever spent so much time trying to come up with cute handstamped cards. Such a drudgery compared to Photoshopping a card! The other benefit is that mass production is no longer an issue. If I need 1 card or 10 cards I simply open the saved file and press print. Also it's very easy to change the design or color scheme. I love it! So low maintenance. Maybe I'll make birth announcements this way too!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy, this is Nate. Jana told me about your blog on digital scrapbooking. We're actually developing something along those lines right now. You're being an expert on this stuff and all, I want to pick your brain when you have some time.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

I can't believe you are being productive at this stage in the game. The cards are so cute. I really like the one you did for yourself. We don't have photoshop so I will just have to admire your projects for now.

11:41 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

oh no! is that baby coming? I usually have two productive days after my slug stage and then BABY! keep us posted! (cute cards!)

1:13 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I wouldn't call this being productive. It's sitting in front of the computer so I don't have to move or be bored! I should have mentioned that when K woke up she sat in my comfy chair the whole time watching Toy Story 2 so I wouldn't have to deal with her. I hope she never stops loving that chair!

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the one on the left. Very cute! I used to have a few 'penpals' and loved the intimate nature of letter writing versus emails or even phone calls. My mom has some old letters that were written between my grandparents when they were dating and they are so romantic! Sometimes I think about writing letters to my sister that lives out of state, but e-mail just lures me in with the fast typing and reply process. Great post- I might have to re-think my relationship with her and venture down the letter writing path once again.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

I love written correspondence and have been a passionate letter-writer for years. I will admit that email has changed things a bit, but I still love sending and receiving cards in the mail. Claudia loves this too so we're pretty good about writing each other.

I love the designs you came up with and am dying to learn more about Photoshop. I actually bought the Simple Scrapbooks special issue on digital scrapbooking just a few days ago because I really want to have some skills in this area.

I'm horrified that anyone would pay $435 for 50 personalized notes (whether they could afford it or not). They're not made of gold right? Sheesh.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I went back and calculated the cost for higher volume orders and the cost goes down significantly. I think the cost for 250 cards is $600 which brings the price down to about$2.50 a card--but still. Even for wedding invitations this seems steep. I just couldn't get meyself to do it!

9:32 AM  
Blogger amy gretchen said...

you know I always love simple. The cards are so cute. Isn't photoshop awesome? I just love it.

9:52 AM  
Blogger jenny said...

Those look good. If and when I have a chance I will have to try them out.

9:26 PM  
Blogger jt said...

I am jealous, because beyond saving Photos for the web, I know nothing about Photoshop, but would really like to. Good job, and good luck!

7:55 PM  
Blogger TX Girl said...

I LOVE personalized stationary. It is cheaper to do it at home, but it is hard to get it really fancy.

You can also try Crane and Co. You won't get 50 cards, but they can personalize any stationary they have in their store for next to nothing.

7:09 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

What a great idea! By the way, is that your signature on your card? I have Photoshop but really don't know how to use it. I want to explore this and personalized stationery is a good plan. I love it.

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love my personalized stationary. It is fun, good luck finding what you like.

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home