September 01, 2006

Forgotten Pleasures

It's ironc, isn't it, that we have the capability to forget how much joy certain things bring to us. How is it that our mind can let go of pleasures of the past? Why do we move on, even when we still experience pleasure from the very things we're moving away from? Perhaps it's growing up, perhaps it's shifting priorities. I don't know. All I do know it that last night I was reminded of one of my forgotten pleasures--tennis. Not playing it, watching it. In junior high I discovered tennis through an 18 year old tennis sensation--Andre Agassi. He was so cute, and little dangerous. He was, after all, the bad boy of the sport at the time. He wore his hair long, he had a pierced ear and his clothes were colorful and wild--unheard of in a sport that was dominated by white shirts and shorts. Even the previous owner of the "bad boy" title, John McEnroe, would never have dared to wear the outfits Andre wore. And I loved him. I loved watching him play his rival Pete Sampras, I loved his two handed backhand, and I loved his smile! I especially loved that smile! The walls of my room were plastered with Andre posters. At a time when New Kids on the Block reigned supreme, only Andre would do for me. Ok, that's not true, I liked NKOTB, too--but not as much as Andre! They never made it onto my walls, and I never saw them in concert, but I consider seeing Ande Agassi play at the US Open to be one of the most exciting things I've ever gotten to do.
As some of you may know (though everyone should know this!) the US Open, which is underway right now, is Andre's last tournament. He's retiring. It's been a long time since I really sat down to watch professional tennis. I probably haven't watched since my early college years ten or eleven years ago. I always want to, but circumstances rarely permit it. This year I had to make an exception for the US Open. Fortunately Andre's matches have been at night so far, but even if they were during the day I would risk Kaitlin's boredom and whiney behavior just to see Andre play. I had the opportunity to watch him win his match last night against Marcos Baghdatis. It was an exciting match! It lasted five sets, nearly 4 hours--well until after midnight Eastern Standard Time. Not only did it last five sets, but it went almost as far as it could, with the score of the final set ending up 7-5. Both Agassi and Baghdatis managed to stay on serve the entire set. It wasn't until the final game that Andre managed to break Baghdatis and his 125 mph+ serve. Even though this was only a second round match, it had an epic feel. Andre is unseeded in the tournament. He beat the 8th seed, who also happens to be 15 years younger than he. People have dubbed this year's US Open the Agassi Open, and according to rumor, nobody seems to mind. It's exciting to see my personal favorite and one of the all time greats exit on such a wave of respect and admiration.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to love watching tennis as well- something about it just catches my eye when I see it. I am so out of the loop and didn't know that this was his last year- what an amazing player he is. I think it is too funny that he was your heart throb back then- I don't think I gave tennis a thought when NKOTB were around :)

1:30 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I heard it was his last year. It was fun to read about your like of tennis, you could really tell how passionate you are about it. It sounded like if I was to write about watching the NBA especially John Stockton. When i was in junior hight my walls were plastered with John Stockton posters :) It's good to hear that someone else liked an athlete, most of my friends had Tom Cruise posters or NKOTB.
Last year I really got back into watching basketball games and I rediscovered my passion for it, I can hardly wait for the new season to start.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Diana, John Stockton was my friend Julie's athlete of choice. I'm glad you rediscovered something you'd lost. It's a good way to relive your "childhood."

2:45 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

How fun for you to rediscover a passion! I have to admit I've never watched an entire tennis game. When you started talking about the seed stuff, I was completely lost. I can see Andre's appeal, though.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Amy, I feel like whenever you post I learn something new about you. I never would have known you had a thing for Andre Agassi or tennis. I find I like pretty much any sport once I sit down and watch it, but don't usually go out of my way to do that. I recorded the Pan Pacific Swim Meet last week and loved watching that, and recorded gymnastics the week before. Last summer I recorded the Tour de France and watched that each week as well.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

So cool to know of another John Stockton fan. Hope you are enjoying your tennis matches.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved reading your thoughts about Andre Agassi, but, you forgot to mention that I, your mother, became an even bigger fan of Andre's back then and have continued to be loyal to him throughout the years. Let's just call me a "die hard fan". I have seen him play many times now, and I deserve a small thanks, at least, for making your viewing of that US Open tennis match possible!!! : ) Seriously, our "love" of Andre back then was truly a mother-daughter bonding opportunity, and I have to say that it was you who turned me on to him, so I guess I actually owe you a big thanks for getting me started on something that has also brought me immeasurable pleasure for over 15 years! Good job, Amy!! Love you!!

9:00 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

well, who knew?!! something else new about you Amy! 4 hours is a dang long time to have to play- that meets my definition of grueling!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Weinraub Family said...

Leave it to you to go for the bad boy back then. NKOTB, how funny, seems like so long ago.
I love your mom's comments.
I am glad you were able to take part in such a pleasure. Although I am with Michelle on this one, you lost me with all the seed talk!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

What?!!? I had absolutely no idea that you liked to watch tennis. Yet another something that I didn't know about you.

I would absolutely love to learn to play. When I can find myself a partner who doesn't know how to play either who is willing to take lessons, then that is the next thing that I want to do.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I happen to have been a big tennis watcher back then too. Only I had my eye on Pete Sampras. Fun post.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

What a fun post and a lot of memories. I love to watch tennis and had a friend who LOVED Andre and a roommate years later who was a state champion in HS and I learned a lot from her talking about it too.

I don't even know you well but was still surprised by this post. A fun read...

8:06 PM  
Blogger Bond Girl 007 said...

oh my goodness! HOw fun...I love tennis, and I love love love playing. I absolutely love him too! I even named my baby after him! Jorvik Andre with an accent on the e, can't figure out how to put it. It has been a while since I saw a game...but rented wimbledon the other day and I loved it! fun fun fun post I think his famkily is soo cute...I also thought they were cute (brooke too) but with stefi...wow a family of champions!

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home