August 23, 2006

A whirlwind of a day!

Yesterday I decided it was high time I returned to the gym. I had intended to go back a month ago, but couldn't see my way to getting out of the house early enough to have Kaitlin home in time for her nap, and Kaitlin's nap is much more important to me than being in shape!

After a stressful morning of trying to get Kaitlin fed, my gym bag packed, and feeding Alexander, we finally rolled into the gym parking lot at around 9:00. We got out of the car and went into the gym. I took out my keys to scan my membership tag, and we made out way over to the two saltwater reef aquariums the gym has in it's lobby. I let Kaitlin look at the fish for a few minutes and then we headed off to "The Nest" daycare center where I signed Kaitlin and Alex in, then left to work out. I rode the recumbent bike for half an hour (my favorite because I can read and exercise at the same time!), decided I needed to get going to Costco, skipped my shower, changed my shirt, and then I looked for my keys. They were nowhere to be found. I checked my locker, the floor around my locker, the aquarium area , checked the parking lot to make sure my car was still there, and then I checked The Nest. They were gone! Vanished into thin air. I had to call my sister, have her go to my house to get the spare keys and bring them to me. Now, I don't go to a gym in my own city. I go to a gym about 20 minutes from our houses, so it was really nice of her to do this for me! We headed off to Costco, where I fueled up on Diet Coke, and then drove down to the Gandolfo's drive thru in Lehi for a much needed turkey and avocado sandwich and another diet soda. As I was pulling up to my house (several miles away from the sandwich place) Jeremy called to see if we wanted to go to lunch with him because he was in the area. So we turned around and drove back to where we'd come from to eat with Jeremy. When I got home there was a message that my keys had turned up--somebody had taken them home on accident. I must have left them on the counter when I took Kaitlin and Alex to the child care center. So I put Kaitlin down for a nap, fed Alexander and put him down for a nap, took a nice hot bath, listened to the drywall guys working in the basement (we're finishing an outdoor gear room for Jeremy), woke Kaitlin up, woke Alex up to feed him, got back into the car to go to the gym to get my keys, stopped to get gas, and went to Super Target for some groceries. We finished at Target, went home, made dinner, played outside, got ready for bed and finally it was time for the day to end. At least my day. Jeremy pulled an all nighter at the office, and I had an unexpected night at home alone.

I'll bet you were wondering when I was going to break into a new paragraph. I wrote this down as a foil to Jill's busy day yesterday. You see, her day was busy, but she actually got stuff done! All I managed to do was go to the gym for half and hour, go grocery shopping twice, drink a lot of Diet Coke and make some dinner. And while she was worn out and ready for sleep at 11:00, I could have readilly gone to bed at 7:30 with Kaitlin, except that I refuse to go to bed early because it's such a waste of time! Such a whole lot of nothing--yet another one of the joys of motherhood!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First- congrats for making it to the gym to work out- I bet it felt so good! I think I would have been exhausted as well and more than tempted to go to bed at 7:30. It sounds like you got plenty done with two little kids- taking Mya grocery shopping once is enough to drive me over the edge. I hope you were able to relax last night and enjoy to solitude of a quiet evening.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

This is how I feel like my week has gone. I haven't stopped, my legs ache from being tired and yet not anything is getting crossed off the list. All the errands are taking much longer than they should, the kids are hyper... I am trying to be nice, and now it is Wednesday night and I really need to get going!

That is a really long day though with two little kids in tow. It sounds like you are getting back into the swing of things pretty quickly.

7:07 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

Hey but you accomplished two important things in my book....went to the gym woohoo for you and refueled on Diet Coke another big thing.

Don't beat yourself up, having a newborn is HARD work in itself. Plus you can blame that person who took your keys home on not getting anything done right?

7:56 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'd love to place the blame entirely on the person who took my keys, but I have to remember that if I'd just held on to them and not left them lying around in a public place it never would have happened. Accountability sucks!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

Wow, Amy! That's something that would happen to me. :)

I'm impressed that you even got to the gym @ 9:00. That is impressive. Sorry about your keys. Stuff like that can just ruin your day.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

What a crazy day. I wouldn't have been happy about all that running around, but at least your keys were returned to you and you had some quality time at Target. I'm so impressed you went to the gym.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Weinraub Family said...

Reading your post made me tired, and I did not even have to live it.
What a day!
Congrats on the gym, I am in awe of you. It is so hard to get motivated and moving...out of the house with 2 young kids by 9, you get a gold star.
LOL, it is 8pm here now and I am heading to bed to curl up with my book and go to bed early. I see nothing wrong with that, and you should indulge in it when needed.
Then again, my kids are up at 5:30am, so my body clock is totally off.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Sounds like a productive day to me. That's nice that they let Alex go to the "Nest", at my gym they don't take babies under 6 months.
I am impressed how many times you went out in a day with your two little ones

8:26 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

Any day when I exercise, get groceries, and make dinner is a productive one for me! So glad you got your keys back. I am impressed that you are so motivated.

11:41 PM  
Blogger amy gretchen said...

its great you got to the gym. i love going back after having a baby, but always have to wait til my baby is 6 months old. sorry about the keys but at least you found them right.

i think it's great that you are getting anything done. it is hard with a baby let alone a toddler.

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home