March 09, 2006

From Despair to Dignity

A little lightness before I get into what my title means. . .OK, so I've been reading the help information for Blogger, trying to fiure out a thing or two, and I was surprised to find that the interface for all of you Firefox users is different from my interface, simply because I'm a Safari user. How does it even know? Isn't the Internet Amazing. For example, there are tabs at the top of the text box, one that says "Edit HTML" and one that says "Compose." Then, and this is the most exciting, there are buttons to change the font color, the font, to make type bold or italicized, to create lists. . .the possibilities seem endless. And here I was wondering how you girls all figured out how to change fonts and colors, etc, and it was proving so elusive to me. And I thought you all were just soooooo techno-savvy! You really had me fooled!

On a more serious note, I said that when I figured out how to post links in my text I would start to write about the things that I seriously feel passionate about (not just ribbon--though there's nothing wrong with feeling passionate about ribbon!). Here's the first one.

I think I was pregnant with Kaitlin when I first heard about this place on Oprah. I'm a little embarrassed to talk about Oprah, since my thoughts on her have changed drastically since then (that's another post), but she does impart some really good information. Anyway, I can't remember the show's topic, it might have been about living conditions of women around the world, or something like that, but she had a guest that I will never forget. Her name is Catherine Hamlin. She is cofounder of a hospital for women in Ethiopia who suffer from obstatric fistula, damage that occurs during childbirth. Without getting too graphic, they are unable to control the release of bodily waste, because a hole has formed that allows contsant leakage.

I was struck by this story for several reasons. First, I am always moved by stories of how women are treated around the world. We are so blessed to live in a Western Culture that gives us freedoms unheard of to women in other countries, as well as the respect of society as a whole. When I hear stories of women in other cultures who suffer countless indignities, such as the women Dr. Hamlin works with in Ethiopia, I am truly saddened. It is devastating for me to see humans cast out simply because they happen to be born women. Even worse is when they are outcast because because of circumstances over which they have no control. Second, I really liked Dr. Hamlin. She was so full of compasssion for these women who suffer needlessly. Usually women who suffer from an obstetric fistula are cast out of their homes, their families and their villages because the stink they carry with them is so great. They are usually young girls who have borne children while they are still children themselves because of their tribal traditions. If I was in a similar situation I know I would feel hopeless and valueless. I remember her saying that when a woman is realesed from the Fistula Hospital they are given a bus ticket back to their village and a new dress. This way they can arrive in triumph and beauty. Part of the stated mission of the hospital is "to provide services for those suffering from childbirth and related injuries, and rehabilitate them to the point where they can be integrated back into their society with dignity and a sense of self-worth." What an amazing thing to be able to give somebody back their sense of self-worth. Finally, I was struck by how cheaply the surgery and rehabilitation can be done. I seem to recall that Dr. Hamlin told Oprah that the surgery, 3 weeks of rehabilitation, a new dress and a bus ticket cost about $425. Can you imagine--something that life-changing coming for a mere (and I know this is all relative) $425?

I have had this on my mind now for over two years. Occasionally I think about that show, and the hospital. I wonder what I could do to make a difference in other people's lives. I have no special training, I'm not a doctor, or a scientist. I have virtually no experience outside of the United States. I know there are opportunities out there to touch people's lives. Do you know of any?

If you want to learn more about Dr. Hamlin and her experiences, she wrote a book entitled The Hospital by the River. You can read more about it at Powells Books. Apparently, if you buy the book through Powells they will donate 7.5% of the purchase price of $13.99 to the hospital. Just a little contribution to a very worthy cause.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

I didn't see that show, but I've heard about it and been horrified as well. It's difficult to even imagine a life like that. It kind of puts my whining into perspective a bit. Thanks for the thoughts.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

I saw that show too, I didn't realize it had been so long ago though. Thanks for reminding me how blessed we are...have you read the book - I should look into it.

I am anxious to hear your thoughts on Oprah...

8:54 PM  
Blogger Weinraub Family said...

I saw that episode, and even have that book. Freaky in a good way that even though we live so far apart and havent seen each other in ages, we still are touched by the same things.

You do realize now you have to post your thoughts on Oprah...you have us all wondering!

11:01 PM  
Blogger collette said...

I remember seeing that show and was touched as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. Stories like this put so much of the non-essential stuff in our lives into greater perspective.

3:20 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

thanks for sharing, Amy. I have never heard about that. So amazing that we take for granted these seemingly basic things that not everyone has access to -- health care, utilities, the right to vote, etc. A good reminder to be grateful. I too wonder sometimes what little old me can do to make a difference. Be sure to let us know if you find anything out!

8:46 PM  
Blogger everything pink! said...

I as well am anxious to hear your thoughts on oraph. i have seen the show. it is just amazing how blessed we all are.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home