May 16, 2006

Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation

I'm not quite finished with this book. I have about 15 pages to go. But the guy coming to clean my windows just cancelled and I probably have an hour until Kaitlin wakes up from her nap to now "waste" blogging, so I thought I'd write about my elation about having finished this book! According to my book journal I began reading this one March 2. Yes, I've been reading this book for over two months! It was a real labor of love, let me tell you. I'm really determined to learn more about our country's history. I'm ust not so sure this was the book to start out with. Though it was interesting, it was really slow going for me!

Ok, so where did this desire to learn about US history come from? OK, I'll admit it. The movie National Treasure! I know, I know. It's totally fake, but the history, all of the historical places, and the feelings of reverence inspired by seeing the places where the creation of our country took place really facinated me.

It's been too long since I began the book to do much of a review, so here is what I learned about myself and my perceptions about the men who founded the United States. When I began to read I had this image in my mind of infallable men gathered around a table to sign the Declaration of Independence. I wanted to believe that they were perfect men who could succeed at the magnificent republican experiment that had never been attempted on such a large scale in the history of mankind. What I learned is that they were flawed, erring people, just as we are. They were uncertain about what they were doing. They didn't always know the implications of the movements they were making. Essentially they were making things up as they went along. Unlike us, they did not have any precedents to determine what they should do. They were like infants, continually experiencing their firsts.

Another thing I found was that as they worked out issues such as what role the president should take in government, what place political parties and partisanship should take in determining national policy, and how strong the legislative and judicial branches should be, I was able to form stronger opinions about these issues myself. I don't want to talk politics (though it is something that I think about a lot), but I do think it's important to know about these things, think about them and come up with informed decisions. Knowing the origins of the debates and their many twists and turns throughout the years can help us be better citizens of our country. After all, the same debates that occurred back then are still the debates that rage today and tend to tear our country apart. What is the role of the president--how strong should he be? How strong should the congress be? How should the United States conduct it's foreign affairs? Every president and our government since George Washington has had to deal with these issues that we continue to deal with. I don't know why but this connection to the great and not so great men of our past helps me feel comforted. They did not live in an Utopia and neither do we. But somehow it all works out.


****Edited to Add****
In response to my friend Nicole's response to my post (since she was a political science major and her husband is in the military--so I believe her when she says they talk about politics a lot)

Nic wrote:

Politics are a big thing in this house. Alan and I talk about them alot, but with his job, he can't voice some of his comments in public.
I noticed you are listening to the new Dixie Chick album...that is political right now in its own way!
I don't know if it is good or bad thing to realize our founding fathers were like us. The idealistic version of them fuels a lot of young kids to do better. But on the other hand, knowing they were like us, makes me feel better.


My response:

I think that knowing the Founding Fathers is a good thing because: the idea of their infallibility can cause us to be overly critical or indulgent of our modern leaders, depending on where you stand in the political spectrum, and it forces us to see that they disagreed--A LOT--and that political disagreements can lead to important problem solving dialogue. One thing I found interesting is that both Washington and Adams believed that the president shouldn't make decisions about policy according to the ideas of any one party--he should transcend partisan bickering and make decisions based on what was truly good for the nation as a whole. Both tried very hard to live by this philosophy, and consequently both were accused of being more like monarchs than presidents. In theory I like this philosophy, although there are myriad of reasons why this could be extremely problematic, not the least of which is that with too much power men (and by that I mean mankind in general) tend to think only of keeping that power. This is what makes Washington and Adams, in my opinion, such excellent men. They had the power, they believed it was their duty to serve their country and then they relinquished their power, willingly, when the time came. Anyway, back to the subject at hand. By the time Jefferson came into office, he was so embroiled in his Republican Party's political ideals, actually he and James Madison shaped many of those ideals, that he could do nothing that wasn't in accord with them. Joseph J. Ellis, the author, says that no president since Adams has been able to seperate himself from his party's ideals. Wouldn't it be nice if such a president could exist today and not become something like a king, or, even worse, a dictator? With this next presidential election I've already promised myself that I will not simply vote according the political party I generally agree with. I will take my time to familliarize myself with the candidates, and vote for the best person for the job. I want a person of strong character, intelligence, and the desire to seerve the national interest over his own. There was a quote that I really liked about John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. It is, "If Jefferson seemed predestined to tell people what they wanted to hear, Adams now acknowledged that his own destiny was just the opposite: to tell them what they need to know." I don't want rosy pictures painted for me. I just want to know what I need to know!

Whew! I guess I did want to talk politics after all.

8 Comments:

Blogger everything pink! said...

great wrap up!
i have been reading a book called founding mothers, but had to put it down becasue i was getting a little bored!
i love US history and it is one reason i am excited to move out east.
i just starting killer angels, a historical fiction about Gettysburg.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Weinraub Family said...

Politics are a big thing in this house. Alan and I talk about them alot, but with his job, he can't voice some of his comments in public.
I noticed you are listening to the new Dixie Chick album...that is political right now in its own way!
I don't know if it is good or bad thing to realize our founding fathers were like us. The idealistic version of them fuels a lot of young kids to do better. But on the other hand, knowing they were like us, makes me feel better.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I'm so glad you read these type of books and then write about them, because I have no desire whatsoever to read stuff like this. I think it's interesting, but not engrossing, so I don't feel any pull to read them. (My brother Adam only reads stuff like that, he's much more interesting than I am.)

6:23 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

I would have to say I am with Jill and never really have a desire to read these type of books. However, my husband LOVES history and we actually have this book along with many other historical novels. He picks up a book whenever he has the chance on top of all of his other reads for work. I guess I should jump on the "smart" bandwagon and pick up one of them.

P.S. I too loved National Treasure and am reading the Da Vinci Code. If you haven't read it, it is a good fast read and a very interesting historical fiction.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are very well-read, Amy. I love it. I love to learn about history, but I would rather do so in a historical fiction book and then do further research on certain aspects of the topic.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Will some of your smarts rub off on me by reading your blog?!

I am interested in EVERYTHING but do almost nothing about it. This seems like something I should get more familiar with being the homeschool teacher and all. I like history although I am very sick of the Renaissance after Jessica's many week unit on it this year!

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great review Amy! I love that you like this sort of book. Except in school, I have never really read about US history. What have you read that you really enjoyed or would recommend?
I have been getting into politics more lately, or at least trying to be informed. When I was first able to vote, I was really excited to see all the candidates and read about their platforms and all that. But until lately, I haven't really been as into it. When we moved to PG, I told myself I would be more involved since we were going to be raising our family here for a while. It has been interesting to say the least.

8:38 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

How interesting that National Treasure got you interested in history! I want to want to be interested in history. But at this point, I'm just not. I love hearing about what you're reading and your insights, though!

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home