May 03, 2006

I Want to Smile! and other various tidbits

The other morning when I was taking pictures of my basket of joy from Jenn, Kaitlin noticed that I was using the camera. She was sitting at the table eating breakfast. All of the sudden she yelled, "I want to smile!" She wanted me to take pictures of her! It was so darling, and of course, I willingly obliged. I snapped one, she demanded to hold the camera so she could see the picture in the viewfinder, then handed it back to me and said, "More." We did this oh, about 10 times, until I decided I'd taken enough pictures of Kaitlin's "pretty" smile. How long is she going to cheese it up for the camera like that? Anyway, here are the results of our impromptu photo shoot from yesterday. I'm so proud.

Yesterday, after spending too much time on the computer in the morning, I realized that I'm getting to be quite addicted to blogging and the Internet. So I decided to basically take the day off from the computer. I'd almost forgotten how much I can get done during Kaitlin's nap if I'm not sitting on front of my monitor. I'm not sure that I'm going to attempt that again, but I do know that there is a fine line between too much time on the computer and just the right amount. Here are some ways to know if youve crossed the line: You let the Dora the Explorer DVD replay itself at least twice while blogging (the DVD is 92 minutes long!), the laundry that you started on Monday is still sitting in the dryer on Wednesday, you'd rather blog than blow dry your hair or put on makeup, even when you have to go see your husband at work where he's surrounded by women who actually care about their appearances (putting the bare minumum of make up on also counts. Yesterday the only makeup I wore was a little something to make my eyebrows look more presentable.). I could go on, but this has the potential to get really embarrassing.

I hate my digital camera. Of the 10 shots I took of Kaitlin's "I want to smile" episode, only the two that I posted turned out not blurry. Jeremy if you're reading, when did the discussions of getting a new digital before the baby was born end? I don't think we reached a decision, did we? Or did we decide not to decide? Here's a sample of the terrible quality of my camera. OK, so it doesn't look so bad at a low resolution for the Internet, but full sized her eyes look really weird, and her hair and teeth are blurry. It looks like she's got these really long, transparent front teeth. Freaky!

On the other hand I love my computer, but not for any of the reasons you might think. I have one of those iMacs--the one that doesn't have a CPU tower. It's all inside the monitor. The great thing about this computer is that it has this huge area at the bottom that's the perfect place for sticking Post It notes. As you can see here, I take advantage of that handy little space whenever I need it!
    And to end on a happy note, here is a picture I took of Kaitlin on the "I want to smile" day. Since she likes having her picture taken so much, I thought that maybe the way to get her away from the cheesy smile would be to take more pictures of her--maybe she'll become more natural in front of the camera. I don't know, what do you think? I think we made some progress! She's such a skinny little elf, but she's my little elf, and I love that kid more than anything. So I'm off to go play, to get ready for the day, and to count down the minutes until naptime. K woke up at 6:00 this morning crying for her cousins who were here last night when she went to sleep. Hopefully that will translate into a three hour nap. I can handle 6:00 if she sleeps a lot during the day!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Cute pictures Amy. I think Kaitlin's cheesy smile is cute. Kids' smiles are difficult because they rarely seem genuine. I'm still learning to appreciate them because they represent how they are at each age. Landon has gone through phases of forced smiles, silly smiles, self-conscious smiles, and he's now in the "busted teeth" smile phase since he's losing his baby teeth and getting teeth too big for his mouth. It's rough.

I also know what you mean about spending too much time on the computer. I often have to literally make myself step away from the computer to do something else.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

Very cute pictures. I love the idea of a self contained computer. I have so many cords going, it has to be a hazard!

I am way to all or nothing. I either can't get away from the computer or don't come back for a few days. I feel your "pain" let me know if you find a good plan.

10:00 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

I think you may be on to something with the take more pictures approach. There must be a point at which she will grow tired of the whole thing and forget you're there, allowing you to get more candid shots. She's cute no matter what, though!

I have the same computer as you, but I have yet to take advantage of the space at the bottom. Now I know what to do with it!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Weinraub Family said...

The pictures of Kaitlin are great! She is adorable.
yes, eventually they will ignore the camera. Poor Leah has had one in her face so much, and Alan ALWAYS has his camera when we are out, Leah just thinks it is a daily thing. Most of our shots of her are candids.
I had to laugh at the part about the Dora DVD. I get caught up catching up online (pre Hannah) and use the Elmo DVD to keep me in check, once it ends, time to get off.

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How old is Kaitlin? I am sure you have posted this before, I just don't pay attention I suppose. She is way too cute. Mya is really good at just doing her thing and letting us snap away. Linc got some really cute ones of her yesterday- I'll have to post them tomorrow. I get sucked in the vortex of blogland as well and I really hate it and love it and hate it all the same. Maybe set a timer and see if you can peel yourself away after 30 minutes or so.

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is too cute. I am always amazed when parents are able to get less cheesy grins out of their kids. That's a job. I love her little smile.

I understand about the computer. I have been in front of the computer for the last 5 days or so just trying to get caught up from being gone for 10 days. I find that I make deals with myself, one more comment and then I have to get up, ok just one more, etc...

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home