March 23, 2006

I'm just really feeling happy

In fact I would almost say I'm feeling euphoric. I haven't experienced this level of happiness and satisfaction with my life for quite some time. And I have all of you, my blogging friends to thank for it. One of the dominant themes of your blogs lately has been gratitude. It seems that so much is happening in my life to be grateful for. Of course, there are my house things which you have all had to endure for the last few posts, but my inner dialog today has been mainly a list of things that I am thankful for. Here's my gratitude list for today.

  1. My husband. Jeremy knows me so well. He knows my needs and never fails to meet them. This weekend he's taking Kaitlin away over night. I live for this alone time. It's something that I've needed all of my life. I used to hole myself up in my room for countless hours as an adolescent just so I could be alone. I know this is common for most preteen and teenaged children, but I didn't do it out of moodiness. I jsut really like being alone. Jeremy knows this about me, and he lets me indulge as much as I need. This makes me love him even more. It also gives me the desire to let him indulge the things that make him him, like backpacking and other wilderness adventuring.
  2. The coming new baby. Although I really wanted to get pregnant, I've really been kind of ambivilant about the actual arrival of our new baby. LIfe seems pretty good right now, and I'm really afraid of all that changing. This week I've had to go to the hospital for some lab work and a rhogam shot (becasue I have rh- blood that can be very dangerous for the baby). Yesterday I took Kaitlin with me for the lab work and we stopped by the nursery to see the new born babies. Kaitlin studied them very intently, pointed at one of them and declared, "I like it. I want it." That simple declaration made me feel so much better about things. I know Kaitlin is going to be fine. I'm going to be fine. I am so grateful for the opportunity that we had to go to the hospital together. I really needed that in order to put my fears to rest.
  3. The ability to play outside. Do I really need to explain this further? K and I played outside with her cousins today. It was wonderful and surprisingly warm.
  4. Visiting teaching companions with take charge personalities. I have such a strange timidity when it comes to making phone calls, so visiting teaching comes really hard for me. She called me today with appointments all set up. I love that!
  5. Just my life in general. I realized that I have a great life. I have been so blessed. I really don't know why. I feel like I've done nothing to deserve the blessings that I have received. Jeremy and I went through some tough years at the begining of our marriage. We had no money. Jeremy was self employed and would literally bring home a fe whundred dollars a month. I was the bread winner, and in my salary there wasn't that much bread. Then we also had some serious marital issues (something that I'm not sure any of you know about) resulting in a short separation. Through hard work and dedication to each other we have managed to build a life together that brings tremendous happiness and satisfaction to us both. I love my life. Even with all of my little frustrations I wouldn't change a thing.
  6. Homewrecker brownies. There is a story behind the name (I'll explain it if inayone's interested), but I cheifly want to share this amazing brownie recipe with you all. In all reality, I'm probably just on a brownie high from which I will crash and feel miserable in the morning. Good thing I still have half a pan!
Homewrecker Brownies
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 chopped nuts (optional)
1/8 tsp salt

In small saucepan melt butter and cocoa, stirring as they melt. Remove from heat. In a medium bowl beat eggs until frothy. Add sugar, flour, nuts and salt. DON'T STIR YET!! Pour chocolate mixture over top and stir together until smooth. Bake in 8" pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Once brownies are cooled completely, frost with following recipe.

Icing
1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
3 tbsp butter (softened)
1 tsp vanilla
5 tsp water

Beat all together and spread on cooled brownies.

I defy anyone to feel sad after eating these!

Have a great weekend everyone!

6 Comments:

Blogger Weinraub Family said...

I loved this post! It amazes me that what you wrote I could have written on my blog too. I crave alone time, with no phone calls, no people, just me...I always have and always will. MAJOR KUDOS to Jeremy for understanding and giving you that gift.
I understand your thoughts about adding a second child, those exact thoughts run thru my mind on a daily basis. No turning back for us now.
I am sorry to hear about the issues with your marriage in the early years. The fact that you can bring it up now only prove how far behind you it really is. I think most of us (or at least Alan and I did) had problems early on. The strength and love that comes out of that can be amazing.
And those brownies...you do realize I am now making those this weekend.
Love ya babe!

6:33 AM  
Blogger jenn said...

ok- I need a pan of brownies although, I think I am miserable today because I ate so badly yesterday. oh well- you basically guaranteed happiness from a pan! can't argue that!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

What a great post Amy! How often do we just have to write because we're so euphorically happy? (Almost never.) That's great, and I loved all your thoughts.

I crave alone time too and that's why I'm always so ecstatic for you when Jeremy takes Kaitlin on their little adventures and leaves you to do your own thing--I need more of this myself.

Your visit to the nursery at the hospital with Kaitlin sounds so cute, I'm glad to hear she likes it and wants one. It's funny how we can be excited about a new baby, but terrified at the same time, but after having one baby we're right to feel that way. Change is frightening sometimes and a new baby brings lots of changes.

I had no idea that you and Jeremy ever had rough years. That sounds crazy to me, because it seems like everybody struggles in the early years of their marriage, but you've never said anything to indicate that at all.

I'm going to copy the brownie recipe and give them a whirl this weekend.

9:08 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

I love this post. So happy that you're so happy! I too need alone time, but don't feel like I get enough of it. I'm glad Jeremy helps you to fill your energy bank. I have such a cute picture in my mind's eye of Kaitlin looking into the newborn nursery! She will be a great big sister. And, last of all, thanks for the brownie recipe! I have often thought of putting a recipe on my blog, but have never done it yet. I love brownies...

5:55 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm still trying to decide if I think these brownies are as good as the brownies you brought to Jill's house last book club. Those were amazing! You should put that recipe on your blog, and then we can have a taste and compare series of blog entries.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

I loved this whole post, the great thoughts and I am going to try the recipe, possibly right now?!

I love that the blog gives us a place to vent a little bit but have been surprised how much uplifting it does by reading others thoughts. I love all the gratitude posts! Thanks for sharing so much...

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home