March 22, 2006

Just some random stuff

I can't seem to get my mind to focus on any one topic for too long these days, so here's a short list of things I've had going on .

  1. I've been going the rounds in my head about returning letters that people have written to me to the people who wrote them. Most of these people would be men who wrote to me during their missions. I've read through several of these letters over the last little while and think it would be fun for the writers to be able to read them too. Jeremy thinks this idea sounds weird and that I should just throw them away. Somehow I can't bring myself to do that. What do you think? Do you think the wives of these men would be uncomfortable?
  2. I was doing my dishes today and I noticed that I have a lot more plates and forks in my dishwasher than spoons and bowls. I always feel tremendously gratified by this. It means to me that I'm doing my job to feed my family and that we're not just living on cold cereal and spaghetti with sauce out of a jar, or even worse, restaurant food. Tonight I made grilled flank steak, mashed potatoes, peas and a salad for dinner. When I run the dishwasher tonight it won't be because I'm out of spoons and bowls for breakfast in the morning.
  3. This month I'm trying a little experiment. As many of you know on the 20th of the month Jeremy gives me all of the money I will need to run the house until the 20th of the next month. I have my own checking account that all household expenses come out of. In all honesty, this allows me to be irresponsible with my money but in a limited way. Well, I'm am totally irresponsible, and I overspend every month because I know I have the Jeremy safety net to bail me out. This month I've decided to try to rein myself in. Last month I overspent by around $300. I don't know how I did this. I could figure it out, because for once I kept my receipts, but there are so many of them. Instead of going to Jeremy I've put myself on a strict cash only budget that's half of my normal budget. There are two reasons for this. First I want to pay off my credit card when the balance comes due. Second, I'm really itching to buy stuff for my house, but since those expenditures are supposedly built into my existing monthy budget and I have nothing to show for it, Jeremy is not about to give me any more money. Especially with the home improvement projects we have coming up.
  4. I'm still going strong on my to do lists. I'm feeling very tempted by the Real Simple lists they have at Target right now (well really all of the Real Simple stuff they have there. See #3 about why I'm not buying!) because they're so pleasing. For now my spiral bound notebook will do. Luckily it's cute. The lines on the pages are pink. My goal for the week is to finish it by Friday. Jeremy and Kaitlin are going camping in Arches on Friday night so I'll have the evening and most of Saturday to play.
  5. I finished The Known World today. I just love literature about the South, written by Southerners. I'm going to write a blog about it that I'll publish after book club because I have a lot of ideas that I'd like to get down. I think we could have a good book club discussion about it. Can't wait!
That's all for now. Thanks for staying with me. Kaitlin's ready for her bedtime stories, and since I'm the only one who can read to her, I must obey! Then it's off to prepare the house for the tile guys. They're coming to fix all of my time woes. Yay!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

I enjoy your random posts quite a bit.

I think that's an interesting question about the missionary letters. I think it would be a nice gesture to give them back to the guy unless there's a lot of mushy stuff his wife would have a problem with. I've thought of this too, because I have a lot of stuff from one guy and I've wondered if he'd like to have it back.

I'm impressed with you still holding steady with your to-do lists, and am jealous that you get to have time alone when Jeremy takes Kaitlin camping. That would be a dream for me, and I'm hoping it will come true some day soon.

As for reading to Kaitlin, why don't you post some cute pictures of the two of you reading together? Ha.
The top rack of our dishwasher is bursting with cups and bowls because we live on cold cereal, while there are only about 6 plates in the lower rack because I don't make dinner often enough. Yikes. (I never thought of it like this before.)

9:53 PM  
Blogger collette said...

I am going to comment on #1 - I have kept all letters and cards that I have ever received. I have them in individual envelopes. This was great for my gift to my kindergarten friend. I color-copied all the letters since 1980 and then bound it in a book. She loved it!

So, I think returning letters (or copies of them) is a pretty cool thing. I guess it is the historian in me. As long as they aren't "i love you" type letters, I think it would be appreciated by even the wives.

8:36 AM  
Blogger everything pink! said...

you seem so organized. as for me back to making choc. chip cookie dough.
i am amazed by you...

10:00 AM  
Blogger jenn said...

you don't have to run the dishwasher twice a day?

10:37 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Jenn, no I ran the dishwasher on Sunday night, and then again last night. Two people and a toddler don't generate that many dishes! None of the letters are love letters. On the contrary, they're just very friendly and newsy. I would get a kick out of it if someone sent me letters I'd written to them. Of course, I would also include a not addressed to my firends and their wives. I just hope it wouldn't creep them out that I tracked them down just to return letters. Of course with the BYU alumni directory it's pretty easy.

Oh, and one PS, I would probably make copies for myself. The unfolded papers with no envelopes would take up less room, and those letters contain replies to things that I wrote--so in a way they're part of my history, too.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

I have everyone's letters in their own envelope also. I never thought about returning them? I will have to....

My sisters did come across a list of things an old boyfriend and I were going to do the summer before I came to college complete with illustrations he had made. HILARIOUS! I had forgotten all about it - I mailed it to his parents house - he sent a thank you card back....maybe a future post is I can find my copy????

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home