March 30, 2006

Went to the doctor yesterday.

I don't know about you, but I hate going to the doctor--except when I'm pregnant. For me doctors are a last resort. I only go if I think I have something infectuous that I can get medication for, and thus not pass it on to Kaitlin and Jeremy. Of course I'm a little less strict with this rule for Kaitlin since she can't tell me what's going on with her yet, but as she gets older, we'll probably see the doctor less and less. Which brings me to my prenatal visits, and we can probably lump Kaitlin's Well Child checkups in there, too. I love my ObGyn, Dr. Judd. He's probaby not for everyone. He's not overly gentle, like a pedatrician is. He's very straightforward and to the point. And for someone who has an aversion to doctors this is a very good thing! Our personalities mesh really well. He has the funniest analogies to compare pregnancy experiences with everyday experiences. He's been around forever--he was my Mom's ObGyn when I was born--but I don't feel like he, himself, is ancient. I've heard through the grapvine that he was the youngest graduate from Stanford's medical school, though I don't know how much younger we was than everyone else. And he's the forceps expert in Utah county. Since Kaitlin had to have a little help with the forceps this was tremendously comforting to me.

I also love going to the doctore when I'm pregnant because it marks the passage of time. Isn't that what we all want when we're pregnant, for time to pass quickly? I love it when it seems like my previous appointment was just last week. It means time is passing quickly. This is why I can lump Kaitlin's regular checkups with my doctor's appointments. They mark the passage of time. Our pediatrician gives these cool little pamphlets about child development that I love to read. This week marks the 28th week of my pregnancy. Only 12 weeks to go. I can hardly wait. Soon my appointments will get more and more frequent, which means that the baby is getting closer and closer. I can't wait to not be pregnant anymore! At this point I am way more excited about not being pregnant than I am about having a baby. But don't worry, the scales are tipping. Who could help but be excited when the light at the end of the tunnel produces something as precious as this?

Anyway, have I mentioned that we're thinking of naming the baby Alexander? I am really struggling with the name, but Jeremy loves this, and I like it more than Zachary, which he loved before we came up with Alexander. For some reason I don't see "Zachary" as a man. Silly, I know, but who knows why we feel the way we do about certain names? If we go with Alexander we'll call him Xander because Alex Hanks sounds too hard. What do you think? Are there any boys names that you think we should consider?

9 Comments:

Blogger michelle said...

So exciting, Amy! I can't believe it's down to only 12 weeks now. You are suddenly really showing (well, it seems sudden to me) and such a cute pregnant mom. I like Alexander and Xander too. I think picking names is so hard! (as evidenced by Lucas and Eva not having names until after they were born)

11:26 AM  
Blogger everything pink! said...

Ok where have i been i have missed the whole "you are pregnant" thing.
Super congrats!
wow i will be excited to see and hear all of your adventures these next few months.
yesterday i almost blogged about all my tips on going to the hospital to dleiver a baby. i will have to do that in your honor!
how many kids do you have?

11:41 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Kristi, I will have two. My daughter, Kaitlin, just turned 2 last week. Adventures is right--living with a two year old is challenging (when did she start to care about what color sippy cup she gets?), and fun. The other day I asked her is she wanted orange juice. No, she relpied, I want pink juice. I'm looking forward to those tips!

12:02 PM  
Blogger everything pink! said...

Well that is so great! congrats again.
and yea for your daughter wanting the color pink!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

When my sister was a nursing student she really liked Dr. Judd, she had pretty much convinced me to switch but I never did.

I like Alex Hanks, I like the hard sound for a boy. I also just like Alex...

2:04 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Wow, 12 weeks sounds so soon, that's crazy. Of course, I can still vividly remember when you told us you were pregnant with Kaitlin, so perhaps I'm no judge of time.

I like the name Alexander much better than the name Zachary, and I think Xander is good too. This is very exciting. Maybe you should post that cute picture I took of your belly when I was there taking pictures of Kaitlin, then everyone would really see that you're pregnant.

2:23 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

I like the name Alexander and I think Alex and Xander are both cute. We almost used that name. I agree with Michelle, naming babies is hard. But I knew when I held each of my babies, which name I was supposed to use. You'll decided on a great one, I'm sure!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Weinraub Family said...

I love Alexander, always has been a fav of mine. 12 more weeks, how crazy is that?
I am glad you have a dr you like, it makes things so much easier. I agree, I prefer a dr that is straight forward, I want to know what is going on, and don't sugar coat it, tell me and let me ask questions and learn and move on.

3:01 PM  
Blogger collette said...

Both names are so cute (but manly). I actually like Alex Hanks - add a middle initial and he will be on his way to being a general authority! :)

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home