April 04, 2006

Bad mood

Yesterday I was in a really bad mood. Let me qualify that--yesterday night I was in a really bad mood. Kaitlin has a cold again and she was really whiney all day. I couldn't do anything right by her and she changed her mind every time she told me what she wanted. It was not a good day for us. If I'd had my choice she would have sat on the naughty step all day. Then I started thawing chicken for dinner too late, so we ended up having to go out to get sandwiches. Kaitlin hardly ate any of her food. She's not adjusting very quickly to the no chicken nuggets rule that I've put in place. Then Jeremy got home from work an hour and a half later than I was expecting. Almost as soon as he got home I jumped in the car and headed out. I know it was Monday, and that I should have been spending time with my husband, but I couldn't do it! I had a CD going in my car--which never happens in this day of iPods. It was the new Jack Johnson Sing Alongs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George. That CD always makes me happy. It got me to thinking how music can really lift me up. I have happy CDs that I listen to when things are down, and songs that I can turn on when I don't have time for an entire CD. Another one of my happy CDs is Dave Matthews: Live at Luther College. I love, love, love this CD. There's something about a performer up on stage with nothing but a guitar to back him up that I find so refreshing and good. In particular, I like the first song on the CD (actually it's a double set), One Sweet World. I love the opening of that song. It also reminds me of the Ben and Jerry's ice cream flavor named after that song, and then I thought about my favorite B & J's flavor--brownie batter, if you've never tried it you must!--and really, when Ben and Jerry's gets involved, all traces of bad mood go out the door.

So, I went to Roberts and bought some watercolors in a tube to play with for my Claudine Hellmuth knockoffs, some new paintbrushes and some micro tip pens. Let the fun begin. I think I'm going to bring this stuff with me to the hotel next week. Then I went to Target and bought some kids hangers, some little necklaces for Kaitlin that I think are going to be part of a rewards system, and did tons of looking. My last stop was Maggie Moos for a 24 treat for me and Jeremy. Bad mood gone. Speaking of 24, did any of you watch it? (YOU MAY WANT TO STOP READING HERE IF YOU DIDN'T) I'm getting sick of it! I'm seriously feeling like its one of the shows that I could give up right now. I know it's the middle of the season slump, but the ending! Come on. I just don't buy it. That guy's (and I hope you know who I'm talking about) an idiot!

5 Comments:

Blogger michelle said...

I love the progression from bad mood to good. Good for you for knowing how to pull yourself out of it! Re: 24. I've been a bit disillusioned from about season 3, but yeah, I'm getting sick of it now. I swear all Jack ever does is yell. In the opening sequence with his voice-over, I thought "oh yeah, he has a really cool voice. Too bad we never hear it anymore". And that president is such an idiot -- are we really supposed to believe he's a criminal mastermind??

9:28 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

I love your recipe for beating a bad mood (Target always fits into that recipe for me as well). I can't wait to see all your creations that you make with your new supplies. You're very innovative with your designs, and that's always inspiring.

10:05 AM  
Blogger jenn said...

glad you got to leave and find your happy self! I often find my happy self at Target too! :)

11:19 AM  
Blogger Weinraub Family said...

We all have days like that. Lord knows Leah has days where nothing I do makes her happy, which automatically sours my day.
Target and ice cream, sounds like a great pick me up.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Very impressive to take the initiative to get out of the bad mood!

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home