April 05, 2006

What I did while Kaitlin slept

Tonight I'm hosting the first ward book club where we are actually discussing a book. I was nervous about it, but now, after reading Jill's post, I'm terrified. I feel responsible for the discussion because the book was my suggestion. Also, last month I gave a presentation about literature and my experiences with my Real Book Club (is it bad to think of you girls that way?), so now I feel like they look to me as the book club guru. I've had lots of people come up to me at Enrichment and in church telling me that they're coming. I wonder if I am becoming the unofficial book club leader, or if they're just telling me because it's at my house? Anyway, I love to be prepared for book discussions. Tonight we're discussing The President's Lady by Irving Stone. I had some difficulty knowing what to discuss when the Real Book Club discussed it, so I decided to do some research on Andrew Jackson, mostly during his presidency, after the book's ending. I was looking around on Google and I decided to do a photo collage of Andrew Jackson and some miscellaneous images from his life and career. I am pretty happy with the result. I printed it out on photo paper, and I was amazed at the quality. Bear with me as I stray off topic here: Remember when printing images from the Internet meant getting some pixelated mess that hardly resembled the image that you were orignally trying to print? Well, those days are over. When did that happen? Back on topic now: You can click on the image for a larger view. I feel much better and more prepared for tonight's discussion. Now I'm off to bake some goodies for the evening. Wish me luck!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Don't fret Amy, I'm sure you book club will be great. You will most likely have a much younger crowd than I had, and that book isn't controversial. Plus, if you're hosting it at your house it will be more intimate than ours in the Relief Society room, and you are the master of leading a discussion. You are able to articulate your thoughts, you are always well prepared, and have interesting things to say. I'm sure it will be great.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Good Luck! Fill us in tomorrow....

Is this a book I should add to my need to read list? I am keeping track of all the things you guys mention that I haven't read....

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! Did you like this book? I have not heard of it and like Amie, would like to know if it is a must read to be added to my list.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home