May 30, 2006

Back to the grind

My weekend with my family was really fun. We didn't do much of anything except hang out, eat a lot and go on some short excursions, but it was nice to see my Dad and return to the familiarity of my grandma asking if we wanted anything more to eat. Why do grandmothers think that the answer to any problem is more food? Jeremy and Kaitlin had a blast on their trip to Grand Teton National park. Kaitlin is such an outdoors girl. She did great camping. She actually slept until 8:00 in the morning, unheard of for her. She and Jeremy took a boat ride across Jenny Lake in the Tetons and hiked to Hidden Falls. If you haven't been up there you really should go. It's breathtakingly gorgeous.

The great thing about going away, though, is coming back. That's why I think "back to the grind" is a funny saying. At least for me it is. Although at times life seems monotonous, going away makes me realize how much I just love being with my family. Having Kaitlin running up to give me a big hug when I walk through the door is nice, but I miss the goodnight kiss that she'll give me every night. I miss spending time with Jeremy and having him to talk to. I guess that's why an occasional break is nice. It reminds us that life is not so much of a grind, but something to love and cherish--even when it's monotonous!

9 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

I'm glad you had a fun weekend, did you get anything fun while shopping? I know what you mean about being glad to get home after some time away. I'm such a homebody that I feel like that even after running errands for a few hours. Ha.

By the way, I love the color blue you chose for you blog.

5:05 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

Love the blue!
Love coming home except for returning phone calls, laundry, bills...
Doesn't food answer every problem?
Glad you had a good weekend!!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Amie said...

Nice that you got to have a getaway before the baby. I love to be home too! I love "daily life" for the most part.

7:48 PM  
Blogger collette said...

I, too, am one who enjoys the "grind". Although Egypt et al was a blast, there is nothing like coming home.

8:40 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

Its always fun to get away, but at the same time back to the "grind" is good too. Glad you had fun. I remember going to Jenny Lake as a kid and taking a picture in front of it. I think I was 9 or so. I thought it was cool because it had the same name as me. Kinda silly.

Love the new blog color and glad you updated, for a while I thought you may have had your baby since you are so close.

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you had fun.

You know, it's funny that you use the words grandma & food in the same sentence because I've always felt left out that my grandma is not like that. Her kitchen "opens" at a certain time and "closes" pretty soon after. There is no such thing as a snack unless she offers it. When we were little and we visited her, we would have to make up excuses to leave the house so that we could get a bite to eat so that we weren't starving before the next meal. I'm glad that your grandma is different.

Glad that you're back!

10:44 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

Love the new blog color. It's funny how I didn't used to like blue, now I love it (at least that kind of blue!). I will probably be a grandma like yours because I love to bake and cook and love to have people enjoy the food I prepare. I know it's not the healthiest attitude, but I don't know how to kick it. I am totally with you on enjoying getting back to daily life. That's why it's worse to be the one left behind. You've been home all along so you don't have the novelty of returning to ease the pain of parting...

11:49 PM  
Blogger amy gretchen said...

This is so true and I feel this. I suppose that is what's so great about vacation. Though fun and relaxing it is nice to get back to normal life.

Glad you had fun this weekend and am enjoying the change to your blog.

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you are back and I love the new color! I love going away as much as I love coming back home. I only wish I could do it more often :)

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home